Friday, July 8, 2011

Visit to the Frederick R. Weisman Art Foundation

Last month, I learned that the Frederick R. Weisman Art Foundation purchased my largest machine painting.  I'm embarrassed to say that I did not know about Frederick R. Weisman or the collection until the foundation contacted me.  The tour taught me that I have been in contact with the collection before.

Outside



Fernando Botero Cat


No photos allowed inside.  I found the photos below because the sculpture garden cannot represent the whole collection inside the spanish villa.  The Weisman tour isn't an ordinary art tour.  The house makes the viewer feel comfortable, and somehow, cozy.  Art is not a distant and cold artifact in the Weisman house.  Even in the modern Annex.




A few of my favorite pieces in a collection that includes work by Cezanne, Kandinsky, de Kooning, Giacometti, Picasso, (a yellow) Rothko, Lichtenstein, Magritte, Frankenthaler, Pollock, Hockney, Rauschenberg and more:



Oldenburg's Typewriter Eraser.  I remember seeing this piece when it was on loan to the National Gallery.  I still have cards that I purchased from the Oldenburg Retrospective when I was a kid. 




Miro's Object-Painting. 


Rosenquist Time Flowers


The tour guide explained that the majority of the work in the collection is on tour.  The Weisman Foundation loans work to museums and public art venues.  They also use the collection to provide artwork for cities and towns that can't support their own art collection.  I wonder where Casitas will go.






No comments: